Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blood Type

I came across THIS article in Mens Health about how to eat right for your blood type.  Apparently our blood type says a lot of about our diet, how our bodies work, and how we can achieve our goals, according to Dr. Peter J. D'Adamo, author of Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type.

My blood type is A+, and I agree with everything the article says below, except for the workout.  While I have a new respect for yoga and enjoy doing it, I definitely need to work out an intense sweat.

TYPE A

3 Character Traits: Hardworking, responsible, calm


Your Diet: When hunter-gatherer Os started thinning out, our ancestors started relying on agriculture and expanding their diet to include a semi-vegetarian approach. Type As have the digestive enzymes and bacteria it takes to digest grains and plants that other blood types might have a rough time breaking down.


Your Personality: When everyone else is panicking, you keep it cool. You’re responsible, hardworking, detail oriented and extremely organized. But you also have a classic “type A” personality—stressed and conscientious, craving success and perfection. You're the most artistic of the blood types (and even a bit sensitive).


What to Eat: Fill your plate with fruits like berries, figs, plums, apples, avocados, pears and peaches. Choose veggies like broccoli, artichokes, carrots, greens and garlic. Fish and poultry should be limited since type As produce fewer meat-digesting enzymes, which is why they have such a hard time digesting red meat. To get protein, rely on plant protein from nuts (like nut butters), seeds, beans and soy. Since your body can easily break down and get optimal nutrition from grains, carbs and proteins, cereal, breads and pastas should be staples of your diet.


What to Avoid: To balance cortisol levels (you may have high levels, which can lead to OCD, disrupted sleep, muscle loss, fat gain and insulin resistance) limit sugar, caffeine and alcohol and don’t skip meals, especially breakfast. Stressful elements like extreme weather conditions, loud noise, overwork and violent TV and movies should also be avoided.
Dinner Tonight: Tofu-pesto lasagna, broccoli and frozen yogurt.
Your Workout: Since you stress easily, try something calming like yoga.



This was interesting to read since I've been toying with the idea of going Vegetarian and possibly Vegan.  The more I read about a plant based diet, the more I like it.  I just don't know how easy it'll be to pull off.  I'm doing pretty well this month with my clean eating, so it might be easier than I think.

Sunday night, DH and I went to a concert and had free appetizers in the VIP Club.  I didn't have dinner since they usually have a spread laid out, so I was stuck with pizza balls and fried mozzarella.  In the moment, I loved those pizza balls.  Later on though, I felt really gross.  Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment