Monday, August 20, 2012

Zucchini Bread

I have developed a love of all things zucchini.  Luckily for me, my uncle grows a ton of them in his garden each summer and gifted me with two very large ones this weekend.  

I googled a clean eating recipe and found this one on line.  I whipped it all together and made a delicious zucchini bread!  Below is the original recipe, but because I'm all class, I had to get creative with a few ingredients I didn't have.  I've made notes below regarding what I changed.


Vegan Zucchini Bread
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (I used regular salt)2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup unsweetened (vanilla) almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup organic evaporated cane sugar or sucanat (I used regular sugar and wished I had substituted stevia instead)1/4 cup virgin unrefined coconut oil, melted (liquid)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce  (I didn't have any, so I bumped the coconut oil to 1/2 cups)1 cup finely shredded zucchini
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional- didn't use)2 tablespoons roasted cacao nibs (optional- didn't use)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of 8×4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger; mix well. Set aside.

Stir together almond milk and vinegar; let stand 2 minutes until thickened. In medium bowl mix almond milk mixture, sugar, coconut oil, applesauce, zucchini and vanilla until well blended. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Stir in nuts and cacao nibs. 

Spread batter evenly in pan.

Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

Makes 1 loaf (12 slices)

Calories per slice: 168
Carbs: 20 g
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 2 g
Sugar: 9 g
Fiber: 2 g

When I make this again with applesauce and stevia, I will report the nutritional value.
Tip: This hearty whole grain zucchini bread is lightly sweetened. If you prefer a sweeter loaf you may want to increase the sugar to 3/4 cup

No comments:

Post a Comment