Monday, January 21, 2013

Still Stings

I'm not obsessed with working out, I'm serious about my health.  If people knew the genetics I've inherited, they'd understand.  Diabetes, heart attacks, strokes- not fun stuff!   I don't want to put my family through the emotional turmoil nor do I want to go through it myself.

It's sad that people can be negative towards someone trying to get and stay healthy. It's even worse that I let it bug me (still).  People ask me a lot about my weight loss and I'm always glad to share my experience, but I've gotten to the point that I'm wary of how much or what I share.  Weight and health are sensitive subjects and I never know how people will interpret my story.  I've encountered a few people who get negative and even a little nasty.  They imply that I'm crazy for getting up around 5 AM to work out or that I don't give enough attention to my kids because I "exercise all the time."  That's just not fair and I don't normally let it bother me.  I know that response is usually based in an unhappiness with themselves, it just still bothers me and is just unnecessary.

I've been bad about posting the last few days, but I've started the Whole30 Challenge.  I have lots to post on that!  Coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, one who was always on the thin side, can also get the same reaction, too from someone who is over-weight.

    And you're right- it is based in unhappiness, I've always felt. And a misunderstanding that I wanted to be "thin" or "skinny" and not "fit" and "healthy" and "strong". Those latter three words are ones that I always strive for.

    I've been known to wake up at 4 am to workout-- you're not crazy. Big goals and a busy life--the time and hard work has to come from somewhere!

    ReplyDelete