Sunday, January 27, 2013

Whole30 Challenge Day 9

I am nine days into the Whole30 Challenge.  It's a paleo based challenge created by a company called Whole9, who've created a community focused on real food and healthy habits.

Basically it means I can't eat any sugar, grains, legumes, or processed food.

If you had asked me 10 days ago if I could do this, I would have said "Hell NO!!!"  The first few days were really hard and I kept dragging my feet before I would commit to doing it.  It takes a lot of will and preparation.  With two little kids and a full time job, when was I going to dedicate the time needed for prep?

I managed to find it and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.

So what am I eating?

My main staples are sweet potatoes, lean meat (chicken and turkey- sometimes ground, sometimes not), fish like tilapia and salmon, veggies like asparagus, squash, carrots, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and kale.  I'm snacking on almonds, cashews, pistachios, almond butter and fruits like apples, clementines, strawberries, and raspberries.  I've occasionally pineapple and bananas.

Here are some of the recipes I've made so far.  I'm not the best cook, but these have all been good.  My husband is even some of them!  I spend the afternoons on Saturdays or Sundays cooking for the week ahead.


I also have quicker meals of just fish or chicken and veggies in coconut aminos  sauteed in a pan.  I can make that quickly at night while preparing dinner for the kids.  I will add a salad of mixed greens, cucumbers, carrots, and guacamole or avocado. No dressing, but I might sprinkle some olive oil if it is ever too dry.  The guac/avocado usually is enough for me though.

I feel amazing!  I'm full at night now and don't have the hunger pains I would usually get around 9-10 pm EVERY.SINGLE. NIGHT.  I wake up in the morning and don't feel tired, which is great because I wake up around 5:15 AM almost every morning.

I can make the kids' breakfast and not graze on their leftovers- like pop tarts, toaster strudels, or Greek yogurt and granola.  I don't pick at their peanut butter sandwiches or pirate's booty or crackers when cleaning up lunch.  No more sneaking bites of pizza when putting dinner on the table.  Even Tim has noticed I'm not picking at dinner as we clean up!

You're not supposed to weigh yourself on this challenge, but I'm not that self disciplined!  I'm done two lbs so far in nine days!  I measure myself at the end of each month and I'm actually excited to do it this week!  Wednesdays are my weigh in day, so stay tuned for an update!




3 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Good for you!! Will the kids eat any of the recipes you made? I'm trying to come up with new things that everyone will eat. They're now eating almost all vegetables like fiends (including brussels sprouts, which they pop like candy and asparagus, if we call it bamboo fries). They love their french toast sticks and chicken nuggets though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the kids would eat even a little of what I'm making! They are so stubborn and VERY visual. I will battle with them on some things, but I need to get better about enforcing healthier eating habits with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the struggles I have. Biting on my kids food and trying to get them to eat better. I'm hoping as I get better about food and what I present to them they will try more. My daughter has gotten better the older she has gotten,

    ReplyDelete